Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Give me a ring





The meaning of give me a call, and give me a ring: 

* Please call me (later) on the telephone, or the act of calling somebody on a telephone. Derived of the sound the telephone makes when somebody is calling it.

A call on a telephone, normally signalled by a distinctive sound; also (now rare) with up. Also: (each of) a series of resonant or vibrating sounds, or now also a distinctive tune or tone, signalling an incoming telephone call; to give a ring   (with indirect object): to call (a person, organization, number, etc.) on a telephone.
       
Examples: 
         Yo man, give me a ring when you get home.

Mary: See you later, Fred. 
Fred: Give me a call if you get a chance.

"When you're in town again, Sue, give me a call," said John. 

Bob: When should we talk about this again? 
Bill: Next week is soon enough. Give me a ring.

The Etymology by Oxford Dictionaries Online:

1895   A. R. Bennett Telephone Syst. Europe 86   The caller then hangs up his phone and awaits a ring from the exchange.
1899   Westm. Gaz. 6 May 5/1   At 3.55,..according to the ring-up from the engine-room, he was four miles from the rocks.
1900   C. H. Chambers Tyranny of Tears 3   [Goes to telephone.] Hullo! hullo! [Gives them a ring up.] Are you there?
1921   N.Y. Tribune 25 May 10/5,   I don't care much For Alfred Doane; He says ‘I'll give you A ring on the phone.’
1926   Let. 16 Dec. in S. Walker Roundabout at Bangalow (2001) ii. 61   On Thursday I got a ring up to go to Piggabeen and pick up a bloke there.
1930   J. B. Priestley Angel Pavement iv. 157   I'll just give the City Transport a ring to see if they've heard anything about that lot we sent to Norwich.
1948   Chicago Sun-Times 7 Sept. 47/3   He thought all those other rings were somebody calling ‘central’.
1963   V. Nabokov Gift ii. 137   There's no guarantee the room is not already disposed of, but still I would advise you to give her a ring.
1976   H. Nielsen Brink of Murder i. 9   He dialled his own number... Kevin..answered on the fourth ring.
2008   R. Wyllie Everything you ever Wanted xi. 73   He says, ‘Give me a ring would you. It's important. Okay, Tigger.’


The Sources:




Nouf :)

No comments:

Post a Comment